GOOGLE TRANSLATE

Tuesday, January 12, 2021

THE WHISPER

 

THE WHISPER

     "Let us be silent that we may hear the whisper of God." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

     Have you ever had a toddler tap you on the leg as you stood by and then motion for you to bend down to their level so they can whisper something into your ear?

     Well, in my experience, I have waited expectantly as their soft breath of innocence entered my ear. Each time, I focus intently to distinguish the sounds flowing my way in order to decode their very important message. And if I didn't quite get the complete message--I asked for it to be repeated, whereby the youngster usually would give me a knowing look realizing that I needed some added assistance...spoke more loudly or slowly so that I would catch their meaning this time.

     As I consider the desire I have to hear more from God, I think back on how I waited and focused in silence to hear that wee one speak to me. I totally focused on them and even shushed others so that I could hear them better. 

     For me today there are too many distractions. The laundry, the kitchen, the shopping, phoning to make my hair appointment, updating my calendar of events, checking email, my social media, catching up on the news, paying bills, ordering essentials on Amazon, and my to-do list that has no end. 

     I want to be still. I want to hear well so I turn off the phone, go to a lesser-used room, one I rarely work in and clear it of reading material. With my Bible beside me and an empty legal pad, I retreat to get quiet, see, hear, and record the precious words of life that will come forth.

     Worship. Quiet. Wait expectantly...listen. Ask questions. Listen. Record. Make petitions. Worship. Wait. Quiet.


Words on this from the ESV version of the Bible:

Psalm 37:7 Bestill before the Lord and wait patiently for him. 

Psalm 25:4-5 Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long.

Romans 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

Psalm 199:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. 

                               

No comments: