GOOGLE TRANSLATE

Saturday, August 29, 2026

JUST IMAGINE

 

This week, my husband and I have driven along some ancient trails. We started by following El Camino Real in Texas. Native Americans first used this trail for travel and trade. Then explorers and priests came along with their parties; settlers trickled in at first, then flooded in. Today, Highway 21 follows the original trail. We saw signs that indicated OSR. We looked it up, and the letters refer to the Old San Antonio Road, also known as the El Camino Real.

Behind Caddo Mounds State Historical Site, when you ride the little golf carts around the mounds and the property, you can see the original El Camino Real Trail near the back.

That day, when we were out there, I pictured the Braves carrying bundles of bows they were so famous for crafting. They traveled as far down as Mexico to barter for these desired, beautiful weapons. I also pictured the fields with women busily cultivating their vegetable crops. Then, around the mounds, I pictured women shuffling in their best garments and dancing the Turkey Dance as the tribe celebrated this wild bird that provided and protected them

That trail, if it could talk, would have so many tales to share.

No comments: