GOOGLE TRANSLATE

Sunday, January 19, 2014

NEEDLESS PAIN


Matthew 7:7-11(MSG)  “Don’t bargain with God. Be direct. Ask for what you need. This isn’t a cat-and-mouse, hide-and-seek game we’re in. If your child asks for bread, do you trick him with sawdust? If he asks for fish, do you scare him with a live snake on his plate? As bad as you are, you wouldn’t think of such a thing. You’re at least decent to your own children. So don’t you think the God who conceived you in love will be even better?

When I was in the sixth grade, we lived in Bloomington, Indiana.  My family moved there for a couple years while my father worked on his doctorate in music.  We lived in apartment 222 Campus View Apartments.

One day after school, I walked slowly home.  Down the asphalt path, then I stopped at our apartment to drop off my school books.

I looked up at the clock and noted that I only had twenty minutes to walk over to my appointment.  Oh dear.  I was going to the dreaded dentist.  And to top it off, I had to go today...all by myself!  Both Mom and Dad were working and could not get away.

So out the door and down the elevator I went.  It was only a ten minute walk from our apartments.  I arrived there early.  I remember my mom telling me that I was getting a tooth filled, and nothing more today.  We were on a strict budget while Dad studied at IU.  So, when the dental assistant asked if I was allergic to anything and wanted to give me a shot for pain, I told her my mom said just to fill my tooth and nothing more.

Actually, I was sort of relieved not to have that needle stuck into my gums, but I wondered about how bad the pain would be for my filling.  Oh well, I didn't want to disobey and money was tight, so there I went.

Well, I will spare you the ordeal.  As you can well imagine I had the worst time of my life.  It was the longest time filling a tooth that I think I have ever endured.  I returned home and told Mom about how bad it hurt and she looked at me and asked, "Why?  Didn't the shot work?"  

"Shot?  But you told me a filling and nothing more!"  I cried in disbelief.

"Christine, of course you could get a shot.  We wouldn't want you to be in pain."

Unbelievable!  What I went through, thinking I should not bother my parents. When all along I could have just told the nurse, sure give me the pain killer.  I felt so upset and so silly at the same time.

Now that I think about it, how many times do I choose to go through trials and tribulations trying to do it all on my own, when I could save myself a lot of pain by simply asking God for the wisdom, direction, or for whatever else I need.  

Why do we as humans deprive ourselves of giving the burden of our hearts, our minds, or emotions over to our faithful loving Father?
If you are struggling with a distressing situation in your life, do yourself a favor; take advantage of the greatest mind of the Universe.  He loves us and is thrilled to be asked for his advice and aid.  

Ask and you will receive an abundance of peace, joy, help, and love.  There is no sense in going through life suffering needless pain or stress when we have the resources of Heaven at our disposal.  ASK HIM TODAY.




No comments: