GOOGLE TRANSLATE

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

FRESH PROMISE

Psalm 128:3b (MSG) ...the children around your table are as fresh and promising as young olive shoots.

Psalm 127:3-5 (MSG) Don't you see that children are God's best gift?  The fruit of the womb his generous legacy?  Like a warrior's fistful of arrows are the children of a vigorous youth.  Oh, how blessed are you parents, with your quivers full of children!  Your enemies don't stand a chance against you; you'll sweep them right off your doorstep.

On my way home, I decided to drop in on my youngest daughter, who is always in constant motion at a local coffee shop.

We exchanged broad grins as I walked in.  Even though she was preoccupied mixing a latte,  she introduced me proudly as her mom to one of her regular customers waiting at the counter.

"Your daughter just brightens up our day here!" he spoke without missing a beat.  "No really, she is very special."

"Well thank you!" I beamed!

I hear this from time to time when I visit her at work.  Believe you me, I never take any of it for granted, either.

I stayed and chatted with Christian while I drank my pumpkin spiced latte, then hugged her before departing.  

On my way toward the exit, I smiled at a lovely brunette, who was getting situated with a table full of friends.  She turned to me and deliberately stated, "Your daughter is so sweet, really she is."

The first thing that touched me, was the fact that two thoughtful people stopped to take the time to express to me something so great about my daughter.  How kind is that?  Music to my ears!  

Upon reflection, I realized that both of these patrons also made a point to emphasize to me that their compliment was genuine.  Contrast this with so much insincere small talk these days that reeks of empty flattery and pat phrases.  Yet today, I clearly read between the lines, "Great kid--well done!" (Well done to the mom, and well done to my collegiate, hard-working daughter.)

Don't get me wrong, I have not had a seamless life without trials or mistakes.  My children have not had perfect lives, either.  Yet, they are my legacy!  I am so blessed with the fresh promise in each of my blooming olive shoots.

My mother heart realizes that these children are outstanding-- each in their own way.  They have their unique personality and gifts.  They deal with their hang ups and struggles; sure, who doesn't?  Yet, they are recognizing goals and dreams which are thrusting them forward into unchartered waters; where they wade right in, undaunted.

I am thankful for this light airy moment that stirred my heart, transformed my countenance, and  inspired this short monologue of gratitude today.

I wholeheartedly agree with the psalmist and choose to admire with wonder the wealth of possibilities that incubate in my children, who are on their way to fulfilling their destiny. 


No comments: